Employment Support Child Care
Child Care is a subsidy program that helps parent’s pay a provider for watching their children.
- You are responsible to pay all costs charged by the provider. If the child care subsidy is less than the amount charged, you are responsible for the difference.
- Once approved for child care, the payment will be available to pay your provider at the beginning of each month.
The household must include an eligible child. A Child Care subsidy payment can be approved for employment only or employment and training. You will be asked to verify your income and hours worked. If attending training, you will be asked to verify your course of study, schedule, and graduation date.
Parent(s) must meet the following minimum work requirements:
- Earn minimum wage for the number of hours working
- A single parent must be working an average of at least 15 hours per week
- For 2-parent households: one parent must work an average of 15 hours per week and the second parent must work an average of 30 hours per week.
- Self-employed parents: must have been self-employed for at least 3 months. Expenses can be deducted from the gross income. The Net income must equal minimum wage for the number of hours working each month.
Parents must meet the following training requirements:
- Must be employed and meet the minimum work requirements for single or 2 parents.
- The training must be in a course of study that can be completed within 24 months.
- Associate degrees that are part of a four year degree are not supported.
- Post graduate work, or obtaining a second degree, is not supported.
Selecting a Child Care Provider:
You have the right to select the type of child care provider which best meets your family needs.
- Go to careaboutchildcare.utah.gov to search online for providers in your area and learn more about child care and what to look for in a child care setting.
- You may also contact your local Care About Child Care agency for help finding a provider.
- Call the Child Care Professional Development Institute toll free at 855-531-2468 to find a CCR&R near you.
If you select an unlicensed provider such as a relative:
- Your provider must complete the following requirements to be approved as a provider for your child.
- Your provider and their household members age 12 and older must pass a criminal background check completed by Child Care Licensing.
- Your provider must complete all Health and Safety requirements administered by Child Care Licensing.
- For more information, click here.
- If you select a provider who is not related, lives with you, or does not meet the relationship definition an exemption will need to be granted by a DWS Specialist
Payments to your provider will depend on what type of provider you select.
- If you select a licensed provider, the money will be deposited into a child care account on your Utah Horizon EBT Card. You can swipe the card at their point of sale machine or transfer funds to them over the phone.
- For phone transfers, you will need to ask them for their EBT Merchant ID number, call the toll free number on the back of your EBT card, and follow the prompts to make a child care provider payment transfer.
- For step by step instructions go to Transferring Child Care Benefits with Interactive Voice Response (IVR) located at jobs.utah.gov/customereducation/services/childcare.html.
- If you select a family member, friend or neighbor as your provider, you will receive a two-party check as payment.
After you have selected a child care provider you will need to complete and return the following child care forms:
- Licensed Providers: Form 980– Child Care Subsidy Worksheet
- Family, friend & neighbor: Form 980 – Child Care Subsidy Worksheet and Form PR01– License Exempt Provider Registration
- An exemption will need to be granted if you select a provider who is not related, lives with you, or does not meet the relationship definition.
- Your provider and their household members age 12 and older must pass a criminal background check completed by DWS.
These forms will be mailed to you and are located in myCase to print at any time.