jobs main content

Utah’s Homeowner Assistance Fund: Currently Under Development

Are you having difficulty paying your mortgage? You are not alone. Many Utah homeowners have fallen behind on house payments during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) is dedicated to helping Utahns who meet eligibility criteria stay in their homes. The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) was established under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 to ease financial hardships associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Utah has been awarded almost $60 million in federal funding for pandemic mortgage assistance for qualifying homeowners. Established by Congress as part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), the Utah-Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) was created to provide financial assistance to help homeowners who are behind on their mortgage payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Public comment on the Utah-HAF program and associated plan can be provided either in-person or virtually on April 1, 2022. Additional details can be found here.

Utah’s new Homeowner Assistance Fund program is currently under development and not yet taking applications. Please keep checking back for updates and availability.

Learn more about the Homeowners Assistance Fund:

Status Tracker

  • STEP 1
    Public Comment for the Utah-HAF Plan 
    DWS-HCD seeks public comment into plan development  
  • STEP 2
    Program Plan Submission
    US Treasury portal open for plan submission  
  • STEP 3 
    Plan Submission
    UTAH-PLAN Submitted to US Treasury pending approval  
  • STEP 4
    Plan Approval
    US Treasury notifies UTAH-HAF of plan approval 
  • STEP 5 
    Program Buildout
    DWS-HCD build program based on US Treasury feedback
  • STEP 6
    Program Opens
    Homeowners can apply for assistance 

    *Utah-HAF has been accepted by the US Treasury

Steps you can take today

  1. Understand your mortgage
    Relief options are determined by your mortgage type.
  2. Contact your loan servicer to learn what is available to you and what documents you need.
    Even federally backed loans require the process of forbearance to start with your loan servicer, which is the company to which you submit your payment each month.
  3. Contact your closest Housing Counseling Agency for additional guidance and budgeting.
    1. Find a HUD certified Housing Counseling Agency near you

Additional Helpful Resources

Website last updated: March 21, 2022