jobs main content




Your work is covered under the provisions of the Utah Employment Security Act for

unemployment insurance purposes, unless specifically exempted by the Act.

Unemployment insurance specifically provides payments to qualified workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own and are able, available, and seeking full-time work. It is not public assistance, Social Security, or a disability payment. Benefits are based upon your previous earnings—not on economic need. The funds to pay unemployment benefits are paid by your employer. No deductions are made from your wages.


To receive unemployment benefits, you may file your claim online at, select “Assistance,” the click “Check Eligibility” under “Unemployment Insurance,” and then choose “File New or Reopen Claims.” No benefits will be paid for weeks prior to the week in which you file your claim. You should, therefore, file immediately after becoming unemployed or when your work hours are reduced to less than full time.


If you are separated from employment due to a work-related illness or injury for which you have received Worker’s Compensation, your rights to unemployment benefits may be preserved for up to THREE YEARS from the date of your injury. In order to use wages earned prior to such an injury or illness, you must file a claim for unemployment benefits within 90 DAYS of your doctor’s release to full time work.


At the time you are separated from your job, you should request information as to the reasons for your separation. You do not need to have a separation notice to file a claim. Both you and your employer will be requested to provide statements explaining the reason for your separation.


The amount of your unemployment benefits will be determined from your wages in covered employment. “Wages” are all payments for personal services performed such as salaries, commissions, bonuses, tips, and the cash value of goods and services received for services performed. Tips received but not reported to your employer generally cannot be used to determine your unemployment benefits.


If you are classified as “self-employed” (independent contractor), you may want to discuss this with your employer and have your status reviewed by DWS. Work performed in “self employment” cannot be used for unemployment benefits. You are “self-employed” if your work is performed without direction and control and you are in your own established business. This generally means you are properly licensed in business, perform similar services for others, maintain proper accounting records and business reports, pay self-employment taxes, and provide for insurance.


Access our web site to search for jobs, find out about available programs, and obtain economic information.


DWS services are available on our web site at or by going to any of our Employment Centers listed below. Employment services include job referrals, career counseling, workshops, employer recruitment, Veterans’ services, labor market information, and job training/internships. Supportive services include food stamps, financial assistance, medical assistance, childcare assistance, unemployment assistance, emergency assistance, referrals to community, and other resources. Our Job Connection Rooms provide Internet access along with Information Specialists to assist you in accessing services and resources. Fax and copy machines are also available.

STATE EMPLOYMENT CENTERS • Contact us at: 801-526-WORK (9675)

Beaver 875 North Main Nephi 625 North Main
Blanding 544 North 100 East Ogden 480 27th Street
Brigham City 138 West 990 South Panguitch 665 North Main
Cedar City 176 East 200 North Park City 1910 Prospector Ave. Ste. 100
Clearfield 1290 East 1450 South Price 475 West Price River Dr. #300
Delta 44 South 350 East Provo 1550 North 200 West
Emery County 550 West Hwy 29 Richfield 115 East 100 South
Heber City 69 North 600 West, Ste. C Roosevelt 140 West 425 South 330-13
Junction 550 North Main Salt Lake Metro 720 South 200 East
Kanab 468 East 300 South Salt Lake So County 5735 South Redwood Rd.
Lehi 557 W. State Street South Davis 763 West 700 South W. Cross
Loa 18 South Main Spanish Fork 1185 North Canyon Creek Parkway
Logan 180 North 100 West St. George 162 North 400 East Bldg. B
Manti 55 South Main #3 Tooele 305 North Main, Ste. 100
Moab 457 Kane Creek Blvd. Vernal 1050 West Market Dr.


Utah law requires that each employee’s wages must be reported each quarter with the regular quarterly contribution (tax) report. All wage and separation information and correspondence must include your unemployment insurance registration number. You must also maintain and make available records of wages and separation information on all workers for at least four (4) calendar years.

When an unemployment claim is filed by a former employee, the Department of Workforce Services will send Form 606 “Notice of Claim Filed.” This notice will provide an opportunity for you to report details of the reason for the claimant’s separation and, in some cases, to request relief of potential charges. You will also receive a Form 65 “Employer Notice of Potential Liability” showing any wages from your firm being used on the claim and your firm’s potential benefit costs.

If you have classified or contemplate classifying any of your workers as “self-employed” (independent contractors), notify the Department in order that a proper determination of status can be made. By doing this, you may avoid unpaid contributions (tax) liabilities, interest, and penalties.

Additional information is available in the “Employer Handbook” which you can access on the Internet at

In accordance with Section 35A-4-406(1)(b) of the Utah Employment Security Act, this notice must be permanently posted by each employer at suitable points (on bulletin boards, near time clocks, etc.) in each work place and establishment.