- Blind and Visually Impaired
About Services for Blind and Visually Impaired
We help increase independence, community integration and productivity for the blind and visually impaired. We accomplish this by providing adjustment-to-blindness services, low-vision screening, magnification and other assistive aids.
Our programs include the following:
- Training and Adjustment Services: Helps students achieve greater independence through a mastery of skills. Classes are offered Monday through Friday and include cane travel, Braille literacy, computers and adaptive technology, home management, wood shop and needle arts.
- Low Vision Services Program: Provides devices, resources and services to help individuals learn how to use their remaining vision effectively.
- Business Enterprise Program: Offers an opportunity to train and license blind and visually impaired individuals to operate their own businesses, including food service and vending routes in government facilities.
- Deafblind Program: Provides services for blind and visually impaired individuals who also have a hearing loss.
- Vision Screening Program: Performs vision screening tests for Utah children to detect either poor vision or other risk factors that could interfere with normal visual development.