Specified Relative Program

A specified relative is a grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt or other qualified relative who has a child or children living with them and whose parents are both absent from the home.

How to Qualify

If you are in need of cash assistance for the care of the children, we look at the children's income and assets.  If you want cash assistance help for yourself and the children, we will look at your income and assets as well.

You will need to show us the children's birth certificates and your birth certificate to show that you are biologically related to the children. If you are not biologically related to the child but you are legally related through marriage to a relative of the child, you will need to show us a marriage license in addition to the birth certificates of the spouse who is related to the child. We may also need any court documents that show the child is living with you.

You will need to cooperate with the Office of Recovery Services in collecting child support from the parents of the children.

If you want cash assistance help for both you and the children you will need to meet with an employment counselor and participate in an employment plan.  For more details, click here.

Additional Help

You can also apply for and receive medical, food stamp and/or child care benefits at the same time you are receiving cash assistance through the Specified Relative Program.