How to Use SNAP (EBT Card)

The Horizon EBT card is only used for SNAP and Financial or Cash Assistance. It is no longer used for Child Care. Child Care providers are paid direct via direct deposit or via check.  If you are homeless or do not have a mailing address, your card will be sent to a post office near you marked as General Delivery.

Your EBT card will arrive in a white envelope with an out of state address; once you receive your EBT card you will be able to select a PIN (personal identification number) that will protect your account from being used by someone else.

Your PIN is a secret number, which only you know, that allows you to use your EBT card to buy foods that are on the list of allowable food items.

Choose a PIN that is not easily guessed. Keep your PIN secret and do not write it down on the card or card sleeve. Without the PIN, nobody else can use your card. Change your PIN often. 

Check your account balance frequently by calling (800) 997-4444 or accessing your account by using the Connect EBT mobile app for android and IOS or by using the website at 

Keep your Horizon card even if your case closes.  If you reapply for help in the future, you won't have to wait for a new card to be mailed.

When SNAP Benefits are Available

SNAP benefits are automatically added to your SNAP EBT account once the agency has decided you are eligible to receive SNAP benefits.

To check the balance on your EBT card or if you have questions about using your card call (800) 997-4444.

For every month that you receive SNAP benefits, your benefits will be automatically deposited into your EBT account based on the first letter of your last name:

  • A - G available on the 5th
  • H - O available on the 11th
  • P - Z available on the 15th

EBT Transaction Information

  • If you do not access your account for one year, your benefits will be removed from the card. 
  • You can view two months of your transaction history. You can access this through your myCase account at
  • EBT account balances can be adjusted when there is a system error in processing a transaction. You will receive a notice about the adjustment. You may file a fair hearing if you disagree with
    the adjustment.