How to Access Your SNAP (Food Stamps) and What You Can Buy
When SNAP benefits are Available
SNAP benefits are automatically added to your SNAP EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) account if your application is approved.
For every month that you receive SNAP benefits, your benefits will be automatically deposited into your EBT account based on the first letter of your last name. SNAP benefits will be available on your assigned day even if it's a holiday or weekend.
|Last Name Starts With|
Buying Groceries - How to Use the SNAP EBT Card
You can use your EBT card like a debit card at most stores that sell food.
- Once the cashier has totaled the cost of your groceries, you will pass your EBT card through a point-of-sale (POS) machine in the checkout line and enter your PIN.
- The cost of the items you buy will be subtracted from the amount in your SNAP EBT account.
- Sales tax cannot be on items bought with SNAP benefits.
Keep your receipt to show the amount of your purchase and the amount of money left in your EBT account and for your records in case there are questions or problems with your account.
What You Can Buy with SNAP
Households CAN us SNAP to buy unprepared food.
Food for the household to eat, such as:
- Breads and cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meats, fish and poultry
- Dairy products
- Plants and seeds to grow food
What You Cannot Buy with SNAP
Households CANNOT use SNAP to buy:
- Prepared items (hot foods and food that can be eaten in the store)
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
- Nonfood items:
- Vitamins and medicines
- Personal hygiene items, such as shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics
Avoid SNAP Trafficking
Trading or selling your SNAP benefits or your EBT card for cash, non-eligible items, or services is known as "trafficking" and is illegal.
Selling or trading your SNAP benefits or the EBT card could result in the loss of your benefits and criminal penalties.
- Do not sell or trade your EBT card
- Do not purchase or trade ineligible items using SNAP benefits.
- Do not trade services for SNAP benefits.
- Do not sell food items purchased with SNAP.